Saturday, June 24

Old Blogs, Images, and Retro-Rock

I always thought I'd write a blog so that other people would read it. It seemed like the only reason to do it, but I just spent an hour or so looking for all of my old blogs. I would stop writing them once I got really embarrassed about what I had said and was afraid people would come back and read them later. Of course, looking back now is more nostalgic than anything else. I am no longer so embarrassed about it, mostly because everything happened so long ago.

I can't seem to find one of my old blogs. I think it might have been the most revealing of them all, but the hosting went down at some point and never came back. I did find two old ones though.

http://nguti.blogspot.com/

http://guti.xmgfree.com/ (click on the post links or archive on the right)

I've realized that blogs are more like a journal that you can look back on and remember what you were going through when you wrote it. I think thats why I'll continue to write in this one. I'm not really worried about making it look really cool, or linking to a million sites or anything like that, but more about me and what I'm going through. In the end I don't want to have spent a ton of time making it look amazing and then forgetting all about it.


I just saw The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. it was pretty horrible. It was a nice glimpse at tokyo, but thats about it. It had nothing to do with the fast and the furious, except the ending which was stupid, and continues to tarnish what was a fun, although a little far fetched, film. It felt like a failed version of Initial D, but I think thats giving it a little too much credit.

A friend of mine just told me about a relatively new band called Wolfmother. Their music is often described as "retro-rock" and is inspired by such grand stoner or psychedelic rock acts of the 1970s as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple [link]. I'm not sure yet if they are truly as talented as Led Zeppelin, but they do sound similar. Unfortunately, it feels like their music is missing some bass. It just doesn't have it, and I think it takes away from the overall feel.
It could just be the studio mixing that drained all the strong bass out of their tracks, but I don't know for sure.

I realized while writing this, that in my old blogs I always used to have a lot of photos. Most of them came from deviant art and had nothing to do with the post themselves. I had two images in my last post, but both were relevant, and mostly dealt with what I had been doing the last few months. I like the idea of images that have no relevance, partly because it shows what I was looking at at the time, and it adds some color to the site. On the other hand its not really me, and it tends to take a lot of time to find cool pictures that belong on the site. I think I'll start taking more photos on a daily basis and posting them here. They won't necessarily be relevant, but it will keep me taking photos. I just need to get my camera back from Brian.


Brian borrowed my camera so that he could make a photo where the computer monitor appears to be see through. Check out the gallery of what others have done. Its pretty cool.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home