Sunday, June 25

Linux and Cyberpunk

Although I mentioned Flock a couple days ago, I didn't install it on my laptop. I've been doing installs and re-installs of suse linux on my main desktop computer, and also installed flock there, but never got around to using it.

I used to run Windows Server 2003 64-bit on my desktop. Actually, I had 2 desktops, but one decided to start eating hard drives, so I had to decomission it. I planned on buying a new computer and a Dell 30" Ultrasharp monitor, but I don't have the money for it yet. I'm basically using my laptop as my stable machine that never gets messed with, and turning my current desktop into a linux machine. When I do get the new computer, I'll probably install linux on there and switch to Server 2003 for the current desktop. I'll use that to store external files and encode video and whatnot.

So until then, I'm reinstalling suse on the desktop until I get it just the way I want it. My main reason to switch was for Xgl [wikipedia] and Compiz [wikipedia | blog]. If you are unfamiliar with the way linux works, its basically a kernel with a ton of addon programs. Different groups have put together what are called distributions that bundle the kernel, software, and usually a package management system together to make it easier for people to use linux and GNU as an operating system.

Of course, Xgl is still in developement and not completely working, so I gave up on using it. Right now I'm working on making my desktop into a triple monitor setup like it was when I was running windows. I really like the feel of suse, and thats the main reason that I've decided to try to make the switch. Plus its free.

I started reading Neuromancer [wikipedia] by William Gibson last night. It's really good and I like it a lot. Unfortunately I don't know where the nearest library is, and I don't go out much these days, so I had to find a full text copy online. I don't like doing that, mostly because it means that I have to sit at a computer to read it and I'd much rather be holding the book in my hands. Also, I never know what errors there could be in that copy or what could be missing. Either way I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I decided to read it because while I was reading a wikipedia entry about Nirvana I somehow stumbled onto an article about cyberpunk and a list of works related to it. I had seen quite a few such as Serial Experiments Lain, The Matrix, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop and I wanted to become more familiar with the other works that I was missing. I decided to start with Neuromancer, and I am happy with my choice.

I actually started the night off with Blade Runner. It was an interesting film, and it's not quite cyberpunk, but it was a precursor to the genre and I wanted to see it because it is a classic.

I must have gone completely cyberpunk overnight because I am listening to Astral Projection. They are a psychedelic trance group and that particular genre of music is strongly associated with cyberpunk.

I think I will add my mood and what I'm listening to at the head of each post. I'll have to get some emoticons from deviant art and make sure it's okay that I use them. Wouldn't want to get in trouble for copyright infringement...

technorati tags:, , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home