Wednesday, July 26

It's been several weeks now

Music: Shuffle
Mood: on edge?

"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner (1897 - 1962)

Wow, I'm surprised that I found the desire to come back to this. I started this all a month ago, wrote for a week, took one fleeting glance back at it, and then left it for dead. And yeat I have returned. Why? I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it's a monthly cycle. Maybe I've just hit another low and need to climb back up. Maybe I want someone to read this and talk to me in a way that matters so I can feel like all of this is more than the day to day hike that it seems to be.

Whatever the reason, I'm back for tonight, so click the link at the bottom and I'm sure you'll find out a lot more than just that. Besides, I wrote the summary first and have no plan for what else I'm going to write.

I tried to make a webcomic. The effort isn't really commendable, but I did try. I sketched one evening. I didn't think it was all that bad, the sketches, but I couldn't confidently portray the emotion that I wanted to see. In fact I could make things look barely okay, but no where near the realism I was aiming for. After feeling like a failure I gave up. I'll probably try again one of these nights (even though its been almost a month since I sketched) but if it takes me forever I would like to tell a story some day through art as well as dialogue.

I'm going to a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) event on Saturday. I'm not really ready, but I'm, not really worried. It'll be a learning experience for me. Well, I am a bit worried, but I know things will work out okay and I shouldn't let anxiety get me down. I'm still on th fence about race, class, name, and history. I'll smooth out the details soon (like tonight or tomorrow).

Work is okay. I moved to the third floor, and I felt out of place for the first few days, but I think I'll find a place where I fit in soon. I'm already starting to do the odd jobs around the office instead of sitting around all day looking for something to do. Not a big deal.

I saw Clerks II last night. I liked it. It offered a nice perspective on life that I don't usually indulge. I'm not sure what else to say about it. I'm not trying to hold Kevin Smith to his original Clerks, and I like what he did with this one.

So much for linking to lots of things. I just don't feel like it tonight. I'm using a lot of VG Cats comic stuff as image filler. I figure it's nice to look at something colorful in between reading about me. I'll have to switch to something else eventually, but for now this fits.

I've gotten pretty excited about Ruby lately, especially Ruby on Rails. Google for that stuff because I'm way too lazy to find links tonight. Maybe I'll come back at some point and add them in. Anyway I've gotten back into programming. It's almost as if I had my second wind with it. I was trying out some of the tutorials for rails and I was amazed and entranced at how it did everything so easily. I admit I like to have very fine control over a program, but when it comes to coding in an efficient manner that actually gets stuff done, then it works wonders. I really want to learn more and become a good programmer. I want to start looking at open source projects and contributing. I want to go buy some books and really learn the languages and try out all this neat stuff.

For the longest time I didn't have any projects to code, but there are so many projects out there, I think I can find something to work on. Plus there might be some basic coding work to be done at work, so I should probably brush up on my Java (read: learn Java). I thought about buying an O'Reilly book about Java, but didn't want to spend the $40. What a cheap ass I am. Well I did just spend a few hundred dollars last weekend, and I'm going to spend another few when I go to Otakon, so I'm just being smart with my money. Maybe.

Other than all that, I think things are really okay. I have some unrequited love feelings, but I always have those so its no big deal. I just have to stop worrying about it again (always tough for me).

And the best waste of time ever (In my opinion).

You stay classy, San Diego.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home